Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fur Weight

I had the bright idea to make my sheltie Parker be my new running buddy.
It'd be perfect...he's a high energy dog that drives us crazy because he doesn't get out enough. He's also about 10 pounds overweight. I also have a mild case of paranoia that a creepy white van with no side windows is going to pull up behind me & toss me in the back, somehow in my mind this mini-lassie would thwart such an encounter.

That turned out to be a big "FAIL". I had to turn around 1/2 through & drop him off. This crazy dog that goes batsh#t berserk when the UPS man comes within 100ft of the house can't jog for 60 seconds?I was literally dragging him every time I'd switch from "walk" to "run". That is until a squirrel crossed our path, that incident almost put a very permanent stop to not just my run but my capability of walking forever.

I opened the door, let him in & when P gave me the confused look as to why I was back so soon I just said, "he's doesn't work. we need to exchange him" & finished running solo.

I love him but man, that good for nothing dog...

So instead I bought some pepper spray at the sporting good's store. Creepy white vans beware.

Does anyone else run with some sort of protection??

7 comments:

  1. My dog Maverick is a high energy mini Australian shepherd. When I jog, he gets real excited and tries to sprint and ends up making it very difficult to jog because he was pulling my arm. I started jogging with a stroller and I'd tie his leash to the stroller, which works out really well because it helps pull the stroller so I don't have to do much but steer.

    And as far as protection, I have never even considered the thought that someone would want to kidnap me! ha!

    Andie
    prettymuchnuts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! My hubby! He is starting the program with me tomorrow! Even though he's ran a marathon and a couple halves...he's willing to back it up a bit to help me get in shape! Yay!!! I'm pretty pumped to start!

    Also, do you use the twitter feature to share that you've finished each day? I think I might do that, just to brag and feel good about myself. A little self-encouragement never hurt right??? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! My black lab mix rescue, Zach. He quits before the 3-mile mark every time (good indicator, right?), and I'm sure he will lick any perpetrators to death. I have on my running clothes this morning, and as soon as the rain let's up, we're going out. Thanks for the motivation!

    "C" is for Cockerham

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always take my husband with me! We actually all go as a family (Husband, 2 year old girl, 5 week old boy, and myself) to the park to run. Okay, it's not technically a "park", more of a soccer field with a track around it. We put the kiddos in the stroller and take turns running. I will walk with the kids and let our toddler burn off energy while he runs, and then he does the same while I run. It has become something we do most evenings now, and we really enjoy it. I know some like to go running alone to get a little 'me' time though. And pepper spray isn't a bad idea if you're going solo! Those rape vans freak me out too. Why would you need that type of vehicle unless you had plans of doing some kidnapping in your free time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, girl! I started C25k about 2 weeks ago. I have always despised running but like you, I want to be a runner! I don't know why! So far I'm digging C25k - it's pushing me just hard enough that I kick my own ass but come back for more. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Miranda, do you know if when you hit the "share" button does it just share your stats or also the map of where you ran? I'd like to share the 1st part but I'm thinking posting my exact running path might not be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...that's a good question. I haven't actually started the running yet but tomorrow I'll find out and let you know. I don't have the GPS feature on my phone so I don't think it should give my location. I'll take a picture of the screen where the "brag" is posted and tweet it tomorrow morning. @mirandaferrante

    ReplyDelete